Copyright 2008-2016 L M Grimes. Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

BeFeathered Has a New YouTube Video

Lewis Mark Grimes at his desk
I just completed a video I want to share with you

Making this video was hard. I guess most people who make videos have these complaints, but here's my saga, all the same. I had hopes of using my iPad Air to make a video until the grant committee chairman told me it had to be close to seven minutes long. The iPad takes lovely but short videos and it didn't seem conducive. A friend had a camera she was willing to loan me. It sounded like a good idea but when I got the device it was twenty years old and had no way to transfer to a computer. I thanked her and returned it. I had recently bought a Cube from Polaroid, but I truly have a hard time taking it seriously. It operates entirely from one button. Well, anyway, it perches on my desk lamp looking exactly like a spy cam.

I decided to order a new camera with some of the money the first stage of the grant had advanced me. Logitech called it the C920 and when Amazon shipped it, I was grateful it looked simple, plug and play, etc. I had to download Adobe Premiere Pro from my Cloud subscription. I have a laptop so I serendipitously downloaded to both that and my desk PC. I also have an iMac I've been using to fabricate my art images. I made an animation last year on it and it worked out pretty well, so I made the unfortunate decision to shoot my video on my laptop and simply move the files to the iMac with a flash drive. Ulp.

The video looked fine. See the photo above? That's a selfie I shot with the same setup. I put the videos on the iMac and they immediately pixelated or something strange and they looked godawful. I was vexed and running out of time. I decided to take the still slides from my slide deck which was my original production and all I thought I needed. I would excerpt stills from the videos of myself as a talking head, cut it all together into a brilliant video and voila.

Unfortunately...I hated the results. It was static and boring. I was desperate. It was the 11th hour and I thought I had a lemon from Logitech. I called their tech support which wasn't easy but I did get through. Susan listened to my dilemma and then she said, "...so you moved the video footage to a Mac, you say?"
"Yes."
"Well there's your problem. This camera is only compatible with the PC Platform of Windows.

I despaired. But finally I understood what had been holding me up for days. I highly recommend the C920 but not if you're a Mac user. I cut the film on my desktop and I hope you like the results on the link below the photo of me.

Things are evolving and I expect to have more news soon. Please save feathers to save birds.

I hope as you think of Christmas, you will think of Feather Rishi, BeFeathered and visit my shops and web sites.

Thank you and happy holidays.

Copyright 2015 L M Grimes

No comments: